Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Struggling...

I must admit to myself that I am having a problem with writing. I know the best writing comes from when you are just relaxed and writing, but these days, I am having problems doing that. I expect too much from myself when I write. I expect that my writing will take me somewhere, instead of thinking that I'm writing for myself. Who am I to think that anyone reads this?

Also, I like doing a little bit of research into my posts. Sadly, that means a half-hour task turns into a two- or three-hour one. Granted, part of it is trying to learn something about what I'm writing about, so I suppose that in itself is not a bad thing.

I thought my last blog was pretty good. That's why I have been trying to imitate it. Maybe that's part of my problem. I need a fresh start. I need to make this blog into something. I just need to write and see what happens with it. But I don't want it to be... just... nothing.

Ambition is a weird thing, isn't it? I feel like I need to write, but when it comes to putting the pen to the paper, I get all knotted up. But yet, the drive to do it is still there. I think sometimes I'm too much of a perfectionist. I'm so much of a perfectionist sometimes, that I just give up because it's not worth finishing, which is totally misleading. It's affected my life a bit. Mainly in school and stuff, doing papers were sometimes a struggle because I'd get ideas in my head about how I wanted them to be, and then they'd go in a different direction... so I'd procrastinate, thinking that the time difference would help change the outcome. But what would end up happening, is that I still have to do the assignment, so then I would rush it at the end, and ultimately impacted my grade at the end, probably not for the better.

Perfectionism, in itself, is not a bad thing. And hopefully, with acknowledging this, I am able to channel it and make it an asset.

1 comment:

  1. If you get stuck because of pressure, just write a little bit every day in a notebook or somewhere. Don't go to bed until you've written something. Then pick your best piece of the week and publish that. Way less pressure, as no one will read the majority of what's written. And the more you write, the better you write!

    I read once that a professor was teaching a class on writing a novel. All the students were pressuring themselves to write really good stories. So the professor took off the pressure and told them all to write a really bad novel. Everyone was able to finish this assignment, and much of the bad novels could be salvaged or re-worked to be good stories, after all.

    ReplyDelete