Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flu in the Trough

So I'm flipping the boob tube between MSNBC, CNN, and Headline News this afternoon when I realize they are all covering this "swine flu pandemic". I know I'm just adding my rant here, but really? Pandemic?
Not to take it away from the victims of this strain of influenza, but the media is fiesting too hard on this. It's like they have nothing better to talk about, like Iraq or the economy or god-knows-what. But so, as of this afternoon, there were approximately 100 cases of this disease in the US. To put into perspective, 100 people are sick with a MILD case of the flu out of 400 million people. That's what... 0.0000000025% ?
People all over the world are dying because of regular influenza to the tune of 1/2 million people per year. That's a lot of people.
Granted, the mainstream media really ticks me off normally because they just have way too much time to talk about the most minute details of things, while either not covering or minimizing other more important issue. I know this has nothing to do with ideological bias. I know it has to do with capitalism in general. The news is not journalism, it seems anymore. The news is ratings, the news is advertising, the news is.... sickening.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! So are you up to the challenge to focus on what more major news outlets should be covering? ;)

    ReplyDelete